1 cup dried brown or red lentils
1 cup long grain brown rice
1/2 cup uncooked orzo or Israeli couscous
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 1/2 cups Moroccan Pasta Sauce
zest of 1 lemon
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to serve
- Place lentils in saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer on low for 30 minutes, adding orzo for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. While lentils are cooking, cook rice according to package directions (all these can be made ahead and refrigerated).
- Combine the cooked lentils, orzo and rice in a large pot and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saute pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion begins to colour, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion mixture and Moroccan Pasta Sauce to the lentil mixture in the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest.
- Sprinkle red pepper on top and serve.