2 cups coarse kosher salt
5 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
zest of 2 lemons
4 large, unpeeled beets, trimmed and scrubbed
Sour cream or plain yoghurt for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix salt, horseradish, thyme and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Place 4 small mounds of salt mixture on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and place 1 beet on each.
- Cover with remaining salt mixture, pressing firmly to form a crust around each beet that covers completely.
- Roast 2 hours.
- Crack salt crusts open, remove and peel beets, then cut into wedges.
- Serve with sour cream or yoghurt.